lōlō (loh loh):

noun - a person who is off their rocker or just plain off
adjective - crazy, simple

Friday, January 16, 2009

Honolulu Marathon Weekend


Andrea, MEA, Donna, Emilee
We all started with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in 1996.
Donna's the only one still with the Society, but the friendships remain.

Why has it taken me so long to write about the Honolulu Marathon Weekend? It was a very different Honolulu Marathon for me. I wasn't the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society staff member anymore trying to pump everyone else up and support them. My role had changed, it was an odd feeling. Even now as I write this I still hesitate to call myself an Honored Patient. As a staff member I always put the Honored Patients in a different, untouchable class. Is this denial? I still forget sometimes that I am now the one with cancer, until, that is, I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror. But I was an Honored Patient for Katie and still am until Kathy completes her marathon in Phoenix this weekend.

Katie - looks pretty good for just running 26.2 miles - eh?

It was such an "honor" that people would put themselves through a marathon AND fundraising for the Society - for me. It touches me so much, I can barely express my emotions even inadequately.
And when my friend Donna, who is now a VP at the Society, gave her talk at the Pasta Party and made mention of me and that my diagnosis had changed the significance of the weekend for her as well - I totally lost it.
It was an amazing weekend - with lots of family and friends in town - it just took me a little while to proccess it.
Have a great day!
Peace,
MEA


Katie comin' & goin' right before the finish line.


Jesse and Katie at the Finish Tent.

Some of the crazies running in costumes - just think of the chaffe!

No comments: